Sunday, October 25, 2009

Limited depth of field Week - Portraits


depth of field,cat
- ISO 100 - f/4.8 - 1/160s - No flash -

depth of field,cat
- ISO 200 - f/4.8 - 1/250s - No flash -

depth of field,cat
- ISO 100 - f/4.8 - 1/160s - No flash -

depth of field,cat
- ISO 200 - f/4.8 - 1/250s - No flash -

After picking up some hints from fellow photographers, this is what I managed to do with my P&S. Kinda fun to shoot portraits with limited depth of field. I only wish my subjects would stay still long enough for me to take a snap.

Long focal length lens is preferable for portraits... unless you want to be up-close and personal with a "typical" 35mm lens. I ended up with somewhere around 200 mm focal length for the shots to get a decent blur for the background. This is also due the cats do not like me approaching them. The distance to the background also plays a factor. The top left photo shows a minor background blur due to it's proximity to the subject.

I still need to work on the composition for a portrait. So it'll be a while until I am comfortable enough to take people portraits in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment